Getting email subscribers is probably the best thing you can do as a bootstrapping entrepreneur. In fact, email is the #1 marketing channel consumers use to make buying decisions beating out direct mail, telephone, Facebook, text messaging, Twitter and Linkedin. This statistic as well as 8 other surprising statistics, is why email remains the best marketing channel to generate revenue for a business.
Unfortunately, it is far more difficult to get a prospective customer’s email address (or even a current customer for that matter) than it is for them to follow you on Twitter or like your page on Facebook. However, when someone opts-in as a subscriber to your email newsletter, it is a strong signal that that person is willing to do business with you in the future as email marketing spurs consumers to spend 83% more money when shopping.
With that said, I am sure you are ready to learn the easiest and fastest strategy for getting email subscribers. Well, according to Marketing Charts, receiving discounts and special offers is the #1 reason for subscribing to an email list. Using this data as an anchor, here are my 7 minimalist steps for getting email subscribers.
2. Create a time-sensitive, compelling discount or special offer that will entice people to trust and do business with you.
3. Using your email marketing system, create a new mailing list and email opt-in form specifically for this promotion.
4. Create an autoresponder for this mailing list that immediately auto-sends new subscribers a redemption number, coupon code, or link to get access to this promotion.
5. Create a page on your website specifically designed to host this promotion (AKA a landing page) that has two characteristics: 1) The URL to this webpage must be really short and simple (use a URL shortner if you have to) so you can share verbally if needed and 2) This page must be visually beautiful and trustworthy
6. Copy the html script provided by your email marketing system and paste it on the page you created in step 5. Specifically state on the page that in addition to getting the discount or special offer in the current promotion, the user is opting-in to your mailing list to receive future discounts and special offers.
7. Start sharing this promotion by enticing people to visit your new promotional webpage. Start with your current customers, then start going after new customers using search engine marketing, social media, flyers, postcards, etc., to drive traffic to your promotional webpage.